Château des Grotteaux4 Rue des Grotteaux
In the park, on the right bank of the Cosson, the presence of the Grotteaux menhir attests to a very ancient human presence. The present castle was built in 1620 by Guillaume Ribier on older foundations, as the beautiful vaulted cellars attest. King Louis XIII was particularly fond of this high magistrate from Blais, a member of the Third Estate. On three occasions he was offered a ministerial post, notably during a visit to the Grotteaux by Cardinal Richelieu on his return from the siege of La Rochelle in 1628. The castle has been listed as a historical monument since 1954 and its park since 1997. The "smallest of the great castles" was entirely decorated by the Blais painter Jean Mosnier, who later worked in Valençay, Cheverny, Blois, etc.
Full adult price from 10,00 €